Dental hygiene is an essential part of good health. For diabetic patients, the risk of gum disease and other oral problems increases due to increase in sugar level in body which weakens body’s defence mechanism. Therefore, it becomes highly critical for such people to take their oral health more seriously.
According to Dr. Ranjitha Mukund, Green Meadow Dental, the following guidelines will help diabetic patients to take proper dental care.
Your guide to proper dental care in diabetes:
- Monitor your blood sugar levels – Poorly controlled sugar levels in diabetic patients can lead to several oral problems such as ulcers, dry mouth, soreness and dental infections. Therefore, it is very essential to maintain proper sugar level in diabetic patients as the better you control your diabetes, the less chances of getting dental problems.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day – Brushing of teeth twice a day with soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste will help to keep infections away. Avoid vigorous brushing of teeth as this can irritate gums and damage the enamel.
- Floss your teeth at least once a day – Flossing helps to remove debris and plaque between teeth, which in turn will help to prevent development of any gum diseases.
- Visit your dentist regularly – Schedule your appointments with your dentist at least twice a year for professional teeth cleaning. Make sure your dentist is informed about your diabetic status.
- Notice early signs of gum infections – Look out for early signs of gum disease such as bleeding gums and bad breath and report immediately to your dentist.
- Quit smoking – As smoking increases the risk of oral complications such as gum diseases in diabetic patients, quitting smoking helps to prevent such complications.
Managing proper dental care is therefore an essential step in managing diabetes as uncontrolled sugar level in blood can lead to several oral problems. With the above tips, diabetic patients can take proper care of their oral health.
If you have any more concerns or queries regarding above points, please contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. Many people from Berlin come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children.We also service patients from surrounding areas including Hartford, Cromwell and Meriden.
Or watch our videos below.