Tooth decay is one of the most common problems faced by most of us, which can be easily gotten rid of by simply removing the decayed part of the tooth. Dentists usually fill this empty void with bio-friendly materials called dental fillings. There are different types of dental fillings that you can choose from depending on the aesthetic and functional requirements. There are basically five types:
- Dental amalgam: Also known as silver filling, this was the most widely used dental material for its durability, strength and cost. Since the last two decades, silver filling has lost its popularity and is discontinued by most dentists due to its long term adverse effects such as staining of teeth, discolouration of surrounding gums, poor aesthetics and because it requires removal of large amounts of tooth structure to accommodate the filling.
- Composite fillings: It is a white colored filling which provides superior aesthetics as it closely matches the color of the tooth enamel. This filling is a combination of resin and bio-friendly plastic material. Thus, it possesses elastic properties which adapt well to the tooth and extensive removal of tooth material is avoided. The only drawback of this type of filling is that they are not as long lasting as silver fillings.
- Ceramic fillings: Most widely used tooth colored filling material. They impart better physical properties and by far the best aesthetics amongst the filling materials. They are made of porcelain material, requiring minimal tooth preparation. Most importantly, they are resistant to staining.
- Glass Ionomer cements: The well known glass fillings, made of glass and acrylic are usually recommended for children. They have a short life span ranging up to 5 years, ideal for milk teeth in children. The greatest benefit from this filling is that it releases fluorides, which is essential for preventing tooth decay.
- Gold fillings: Unless you are a movie star or a rock star, you will not be opting for this filling! Although gold fillings are durable, do not get corroded and lasts for more than 15 years, they are very expensive and require multiple dental visits.
Remember to explain your requirements to your dentist clearly before he/she fills your teeth. None of the dental fillings are perfect, thus you need to compromise on either aesthetics or cost. No matter which filling you choose, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene for the filling to last a lifetime.
To get dental fillings, contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, phone: (860)-865-0056. Many people from East Berlin come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children.We also service patients from surrounding areas which include Hartford , Rocky Hill and Meriden.