Teeth sensitivity is a common dental problem that can occur at any age. The symptoms of teeth sensitivity include tingling sensation, sharp and shooting pain. These symptoms can get triggered due to high intake of sugary, acidic, hot or cold food. Sometimes sensitivity can also increase greatly due to cold weather.
Most of these sensitivity related issues occur due to poor dental health and by maintaining proper dental health, you can reduce these problems. Moreover, you need to follow some important tips that will help you to avoid or minimize teeth sensitivity:
Following are the tips:
- Consume plenty of calcium-rich food such as milk, yogurt, cheese and spinach to help your teeth stay strong.
- Brush your teeth properly – twice a day. In case you are not able to brush, try to rinse your mouth thoroughly with a mouthwash.
- Along with brushing, you are required to floss daily. Many oral problems can be avoided by regular flossing.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water to keep your body hydrated.
- Avoid some specific foods especially cold items in cold weather such as ice creams, cold drinks, etc.
- Along with cold items, avoid an excess of sugary food and beverages as these can contribute to tooth decay and sensitivity problems.
- Use mouthwash and toothpaste specially manufactured for sensitive teeth (sensitive toothpaste) to strengthen your teeth and prevent sensitivity problems.
In case your tooth sensitivity does not get reduced even after following the above tips, you need to visit your dentist for cleaning and check-ups. Your dentist will clean your teeth properly which will help you to treat your dental problems before it gets worse. Sometimes even healthy teeth can become sensitive to cold air, especially when you have dental fillings, bridges or crowns. So, visit your dentist to take advice how to shield your teeth from cold air.
Follow the above tips to enjoy the cold weather without having pain and sensitivity problems.
In case you have any more queries regarding teeth sensitivity please feel free to contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, (860)-865-0056.We also serve patients from areas that include East Berlin, Hartford and Cromwell.