For a good overall health it is essential to maintain the health of your teeth. It’s even more important for kids during their growing years. Often parents suffer when their children resist going for a dental visit. It is however understandable from a child’s point of view. Dental visits can be scary events even for an adult! Unfamiliar cold steel settings, the ‘big chair’, the tools and the masked dentist can be like scary movie scenes for kids. The fear may come from the unknown dental setting or from a traumatic past experience. It is important for parents to understand the source of fear to tackle it efficiently. Use these tips to encourage your kids to see their dentists:
- Early exposure – Starting young, as early as at the age of one year, gives a sense of familiarity to your child. They get used to the surroundings and know what to expect out of every visit. This way the routine visits or even an emergency visit can be a breeze for your child and for yourself.
- Prepping – It is important to prep your child, especially before his first visit to the dentist. Get him excited but only with necessary information about the visit.
- Research about the dentist well – Look for reviews while searching for a pediatric dentist. Often parents take their children to their own dentists which is a bad idea. The sterile adult offices do not look inviting for the kids and may give them a wrong impression. It can also make them anxious and resistant towards future visits. A kid’s dentist needs to be communicative and warm with a kid-friendly office and staff.
- You prep-up too – No matter how much you have researched and how friendly the dentist and his staff are, it is likely that your little one will cry, resist or wiggle while being examined by a dentist. It is necessary for you to remain calm and trust the dentist to do his job well.
- Shower praises not candies – Rewarding your child is a must after a successful dental visit. But with a candy? Absolutely no. Instead praise him for his tolerant and supportive behavior and his courage. A sticker or a small toy too can be promised as encouragement.
We strive hard to make every visit of your child a pleasant one. To know more about our child dentistry services contact Green Meadow Dental at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, phone: (860)- 865- 0056 . Families from Hartford find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund.We also serve patients from surrounding areas including Southington, Eastin Berlin and Meriden.