A majority of the American population is unhappy about their appearance and smile correction is one of the most sought after cosmetic treatments. Most of us often avoid seeking treatment as we do not like to have ugly braces fixed on our teeth, which will knock our confidence down into the abyss. Thanks to extensive advances in dental technology, you no longer need to deprive yourself of a perfect smile. Unsightly methods of teeth straightening are passé and advanced techniques are becoming commonplace in dental setups. In this blog, we share a short guide to teeth straightening options available at your dentist’s office.
Traditional methods of orthodontic treatment for teeth straightening involved the use of metal appliances which were aesthetically unappealing and uncomfortable to use. You would have had to face moments of embarrassment due to food stuck between the teeth brackets, the inevitable lisp or shiny metal pieces sticking out of your teeth. The traditional methods included the following treatment options:
- Fixed braces – These consist of stainless steel brackets and wires which were permanently fixed onto the tooth surface. Although these appear to be ugly and cause a lot of inconvenience, they are still the best option for straightening of severely crooked or crowded teeth. To know more about braces read our blog here.
- Removable braces – Generally recommended for less severe cases of teeth crowding. These are made of a bio-friendly acrylic/plastic plate to which wire clasps and springs are attached. These clasps fit snugly to the teeth and gradually move them in the desired position.
- Headgears – A complex device which is made of thick metal wires extending from the outside of the mouth onto the teeth, which are firmly supported by straps or cups that fit behind the neck or under the chin. These are usually worn for at least 12 hours a day, for a few days to several weeks. Due to advancement in orthodontic technology and treatment protocols, these have become less popular and are used rarely.
- Retainers – Similar to removable braces, they are recommended after teeth straightening by braces. They are to be worn for a few months as a precaution, to prevent the movement of teeth back into the original abnormal positions. To know more read about retainers here.
Fortunately, due to extensive research and advancement in orthodontics, you no longer have to suffer the embarrassment and inconvenience associated with traditional braces.
- Fixed clear braces – These braces are rapidly gaining popularity mainly for their aesthetic advantages. The brackets and wires are fabricated out of rigid and strong translucent ceramic material which blends with the colour of the tooth crown. They function just like the traditional metal braces, without ruining the facial appearance. These are not entirely invisible but give a concealed effect as it is hard to spot them from a distance.
- Invisalign– These are custom made plastic aligners which are worn over the teeth for a short period of time. They are to be replaced every couple of weeks as the teeth gradually move and line up in the desired position. Invisalign provides the best aesthetics and cause little disruptions in your day-to-day life. To know about the advantages of Invisalign, check out our blog here.
So next time you decide to go for that perfect smile you have only dreamt about, be sure to check out all the above options. Your dentist will give the treatment option best suited for you and will help you achieve the desired results while causing the least amount of disturbance in your appearance.
For more information on orthodontic treatment, contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington CT 06111, (860)-865-0056. Families from Kensington find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund.We also serve patients from surrounding areas like Farmington, Portland and Berlin.