How do you look after your dentures? How often do older people need a regular check-up for their dentures? We share with you some guidelines from Dr. Ranjitha Mukund, Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, which will answer all your questions regarding dentures.
- Brush your dentures daily – When you remove your dentures, be sure to brush them gently using non-abrasive denture cleanser. This will help to remove any food particles adhering to them, stains and other deposits.
- Avoid stiff bristled brushes, strong cleansers and harsh toothpaste as these are too abrasive and can damage your dentures permanently.
- Use a brush with soft bristles that is specifically designed for cleaning dentures.
- Gently brush all surfaces of the dentures and be careful not to damage the plastic or bend the attachments.
Like natural teeth, dentures also need brushing daily.
- Don’t forget your mouth, gums and tongue – Keeping your mouth, gums and tongue clean also helps to keep your dentures clean. Hence you need to brush your gums, tongue and palate before inserting your dentures.
- Soak your dentures when not wearing them – Dentures needs to be kept moist; otherwise, they will dry out and lose their shape. Be sure to soak them in clean water or dentist recommended cleansing solution.
- Avoid soaking them in hot water which can distort shape.
- Avoid using bleach as this may whiten the pink portion of the denture.
- Handle your dentures carefully – Dentures are fragile and need to be handled with care, especially while removing them.
- Don’t bend or damage the plastic or the clasps while cleaning.
- Place a towel on the counter or in the sink, so that the dentures won’t break if you drop them accidentally.
5. Get your dentures relined regularly – Changes in gum and bone structure keep occuring which eventually can cause dentures to become loose. Sometimes improper fitting of dentures can also cause sores and infection. It is recommended that you see your dentist and get your denture relined regularly.
Good oral hygiene is as important for your dentures as it is for your real teeth. Use these guidelines to ensure that your dentures are kept in tip-top shape.
Many people from Hartford come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children.If you need affordable dentures, please do not hesitate to contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Meriden, Portland and Rocky Hill.
Watch our video to know more on denture care: