Braces or Invisalign not only straighten the teeth but also correct biting and speech issues due to misaligned teeth. It is however, critical to understand the difference between the two treatments.
- Treatment mode – Invisalign treatment relies on transparent tray-like aligners to shift teeth into place. Metal braces rely on brackets bonded to the patient’s teeth, which are connected by an arch wire.
- Treatment time – The individual wears Invisalign not less than 22 hours per day, for 6-12 months. Metal braces are to be worn 24/7 for an average of two years depending on the patient’s needs.
- Cleaning and maintenance – Invisalign trays can be cleaned with plain lukewarm water. As traditional braces are wired to your mouth they cannot be removed. Brackets and wires must be brushed or cleaned regularly while brushing teeth.
- Comfort – Invisalign uses soft plastic trays that are comfortable for the mouth unlike metal braces. With metal braces you may experience some pain, sores or discomfort along with restriction on teeth movements.
- Aesthetics – Invisalign braces are aesthetically pleasing as they offer you a discreet treatment option with transparent trays. Metal braces on the other hand can lead to embarrassing situations and may also negatively impact an adult’s decision to straighten his/her teeth.
- Food restrictions –with Invisalign, you can remove the trays and can enjoy any type of food you desire. With traditional braces eating habits have to be restricted as some foods can damage the treatment apparatus. It is best to avoid chewy, sugary and hard food as they get stuck in the braces and may damage the teeth as well.
- Dental office visits – Invisalign treatment requires you to change the aligner trays every two weeks without the need of any teeth aligning adjustments. You get a fixed set of trays throughout the treatment period. However, with traditional wire braces, you need to visit your dentist every six weeks to have your braces tightened according to the aligned teeth.
- Treatment effect on teeth – it is easy to maintain proper oral hygiene with Invisalign, as they are removable. Regular brushing and flossing is good enough for healthy teeth and gums. As the traditional braces are not removable, patient’s teeth may get damaged during the treatment. They experience tooth discoloration, breakage, demineralization and sometimes tooth decay due to improper cleaning.
To know more about Invisalign teeth straightening contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. Families from Berlin find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Cromwell, Weathersfiled and Meriden.