What is scarier than the scary Halloween witch is the sugar stuck between your kids’ teeth. With Halloween it’s candies everywhere and these candies last well into November. Taking care of your kids’ teeth and gums has never been this important. Here are some tips that can help you get through this season without any dental emergencies:
- Avoid giving the kids sticky candies – these tend to be in the mouth for a longer period exposing your kids’ teeth to sugar for a prolonged time. The longer these candies stay in the mouth, more the chances of tooth decay.
- Practice regular oral hygiene – nothing beats regular brushing and flossing. Click here to know more on making brushing fun for kids.
- Chew on sugar-less gums – there can be times when kids cannot brush right after a sweet and sugary meal. Make them chew on sugar-free gums as these can help in washing away excess food particles or candy remnants that can cause tooth decay.
- Moderation is the key – try limiting candies to meal times. While eating your regular meal there is increased saliva production that can wash away any additional food or candy particles. Eating regular meals also neutralizes the acids produced by decay causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Visit your dentist – see a dentist around holiday time to get a regular check on your child’s dental health.
To know more about child dentistry contact Green Meadow Dental, at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. Many people from Meriden come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children. We also service patients from surrounding areas including East Berlin, Farmington and Kensington.