Stains on your teeth are a big source of embarrassment, always coming in the way of a great smile. The good news is that it can be prevented.
The first step towards tackling teeth stains is to know its kind. Teeth discoloration can be on the surface or due to damages within the teeth. The surface of the teeth gets discoloured when the tooth enamel or the outer protective covering of a tooth gets stained. Certain beverages such as tea, coffee, wine and sugary sodas contribute to it. Spicy pigmented food and fruits too can be blamed. Certain lifestyle choices such as alcohol and smoking also contribute to teeth discoloration.
Changes within the teeth such as darkening of the inner structure (dentin) of the tooth can give a yellow tint to it. This can happen due to the following reasons:
- Too much fluoride exposure during childhood
- Exposure to certain antibiotics such as tetracycline
- Tooth trauma
One can also experience teeth staining during the later stages of life. It’s a common finding that the teeth enamel gets thinner and worn out with age allowing easy staining of teeth.
You can prevent teeth staining with these simple tips:
- Have stain-free meals – Change your diet that has stain causing food, drinks or fruits. It may be tough considering the nutritional value of some fruits and vegetables such as beets and berries. Chewing on crunchy raw vegetables can wash away the deposition of stains.
- Follow up after a meal – You can choose to either brush or rinse depending on the situation you are in, to keep your choppers from staining. You can also consider chewing sugar-free gums to increase the saliva flow in your mouth which in turn can help cleanse the mouth.
- Change the way you drink – If you can’t keep yourself away from sodas, iced teas or coffees, use a straw to gulp them down. This minimizes the time these staining agents come in contact with your teeth. Adding milk to your tea and coffee can lessen the staining properties.
- And of course good dental hygiene – Brush, floss and use anti-bacterial fluoride mouthwash to fight the stains. They help remove the sticky plaque on the teeth surfaces which bond well with stains.
- See your dentist – Visit your dentist regularly for professional teeth cleanings. This will prevent the stains from building up.
To get professional teeth whitening done , contact Green Meadow Dental at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, phone: (860)- 865- 0056 . Families from Berlin find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also serve neighbouring areas which include Farmington, West Hartford and Portland.