What are dental crowns?
Crowns also referred to as “caps” are artificial restorations placed over the remaining part of the prepared tooth to restore its shape, size, function and strength.
Why would you need a crown?
Crowns can be used for a number of reasons such as:
- To improve the appearance of the teeth
- To protect a tooth after a root canal treatment
- To hold a dental bridge or denture firmly in place
What are crowns made of?
Crowns are made of various materials:
- Porcelain crowns are made of porcelain and therefore, they look the most natural compared to other types.
- Metal crowns are made of gold alloy, other metal alloys or base-metal alloys. They are stronger as they can withstand more forces compared to other types.
- Porcelain fused to metal are stronger than regular porcelain as they are attached to the metal structure.
How are crowns placed?
The whole procedure of placing a crown on your tooth can be completed in 2 steps. This includes:
- Tooth preparation which involves trimming of the tooth and then taking the impression of it. After the impression, the dentist will fabricate the crown.
- Crown cementation involves permanent cementing of a fabricated crown over that tooth.
Note: Until you get your custom-made final crown, your dentist will place a temporary crown.
What else should I know?
Crowns may not be as strong as natural teeth. However, they can last for almost 10 years if properly used and taken care of. So, you need to brush and floss your crowns just like your natural teeth to maintain them in good condition.
To get dental crowns, contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, ( 860 )-850-0056.Families from Farmington find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also provide dental services to surrounding areas which include Southington, Newville, and Meriden.