If you have lost a tooth due to tooth decay or injury, then a dental implant (an artificial tooth placed into the jaw) is the best option. Although dental implants are very safe and effective, there are various conditions and risks associated with it. You should know about them before getting one fitted.
1) Advanced age – Increase of age forms a prognostic factor in implant success. This is because as the person gets older, the healing power decreases. Older people also have poor bone condition which makes implants difficult to insert into the jaw.
2) Uncontrolled diabetes – Patients suffering from poorly controlled diabetes show higher chances of implant failure and inflammation of the gums compared to non-diabetic patients.
3) Poor oral hygiene (gum/periodontal disease) – Dentists strictly recommend that those suffering from periodontal disease or any gum-related disease should undergo treatment of infection before starting dental implant procedure.
4) Smoking – It is associated with high risk of peri-implant infection, crestal bone loss and poor wound healing. Therefore, it is highly recommended that patients give up smoking before starting dental implant treatment.
5) Osteoporosis – People suffering from osteoporosis are advised to avoid dental implants as there is decrease in bone mineral density in such patients.
As all these factors increase bone fragility and risk of higher fractures, it is important to understand these conditions properly before getting a dental implant fitted.
Families from Rocky Hill find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund.
To know more about dental implants, contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579B Berlin Turnpike, Newington CT06111, (860)-865-0056. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Weatherfield, Meriden and Farmington.