Everyone, and by that we mean EVERYONE suffers from some dental problem or other! Check out these 5 common dental problems. Visit your dentist and catch your problems before they catch you!
- Caries – According to the WHO (World Health Organization), nearly ALL adults (and 6–9 out of 10 school children) have caries. Caries is the medical term for what we commonly call tooth decay or cavities. Untreated cavities lead to tooth abscess (pus formation due to infection), can destroy the pulp of the teeth and ultimately lead to loss of the tooth.
- Gum disease – Just like your teeth, the gums too can be infected by bacteria. Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, occurs in 15 to 20 out of every 100 adults. If your gum disease is not treated in time, you may have to get your whole tooth extracted! Periodontal disease has been associated with an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes. So make sure you have healthy gums!
- Bad breath –While not a disease in itself, bad breath causes a good deal of social anxiety. It can also be an indicator of other diseases like some metabolic disorders, certain cancers and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Do check it out.
- Enamel erosion – Enamel is the hard, translucent part of your teeth. Although enamel is certainly strong, it’s not invincible. Excessive friction, a diet that is high in sugar/starch and acidic foods can erode the enamel of your teeth, making them brittle. Once lost, enamel is gone forever, as your body can’t make new enamel!
- Oral cancer –Each year, oral cancer strikes more than 43,000 people in the U.S.A. alone. The risk of oral cancer increases with abuse of tobacco (including smoking) and excessive alcohol. Oral cancer is often not detected early enough, because people don’t notice any signs or symptoms before it’s too late.
Families from Cromwell find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. If you suffer from any of the above problems, or just feel like you need a dental check-up visit Green Meadow Dental at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111.(860)-865-0056. We also service patients from surrounding areas including East Berlin, Hartford and Glastonbury