Many patients will experience discomfort such as nausea, pain, swelling and difficulty in eating after wisdom tooth extraction procedure, which are expected to last for at least 24–72 hours. Here are 10 important instructions given by Dr. Ranjitha Mukund, Green Meadow Dental at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, which will help fast recovery and maintain comfort after wisdom tooth extraction.
- The gauze piece or cotton used as a protective dressing pad should be left in place for at least an hour after the surgery. The gauze should be carefully removed and discarded afterwards.
- Constant touching or probing with tongue of the surgical area should be avoided as this may lead to further bleeding and pain.
- Do not brush your teeth or rinse your mouth immediately after procedure was done.
- Vigorous mouth rinsing or excessive spitting of blood should be avoided as this may cause the blood clot to dislodge.
- Swelling and stiffness are common after wisdom tooth extraction. Use an ice pack as directed by your dentist or surgeon.
- Take prescribed medicines for pain management.
- Drink plenty of water after tooth extraction. Avoid drinking carbonated, caffeinated or hot beverages within first 24 hours.
- Do not smoke for 12 hours after the procedure. Dentists generally recommend not to smoke until there is 100% healing and recovery.
- The patient should not drive vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the surgery. It is advisable that the patient should be accompanied by a responsible adult who can drive him/her home after tooth extraction.
- Try to restrict your activities on the day you have surgery to help in speedy recovery.
Many people from Berlin come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children.
If you have more questions or concerns regarding wisdom tooth extraction , contact Green Meadow Dental at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056 or watch our video below. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Cromwell, Farmington and West Hartford.